USDA Certified Organic and MADE SAFE™ products for healthier hair and humans
Most people go to the salon and don’t think twice about the shampoo, conditioner, hair color and styling products being used. The problem is that most hair and skin products include a full chemistry set worth of potentially hazardous ingredients and while the amount of each chemical included is limited by regulation, there is still the risk of skin irritation, respiratory complications and some studies have even shown a link to cancer.
Some chemicals are added as preservatives that prevent the growth of bacteria, yeast and mold. Others are added to make the products more effective or smell better, but each can potentially cause a host of unwelcome side effects. Specifically:
- Parabens – Used as a preservative in cosmetics, shampoo, deodorant and facial cleansers; parabens mimic estrogen, are easily absorbed by the body and have been found in breast cancer tissue.
- Formaldehyde – Remember the frogs in biology class? They were preserved in formaldehyde. Also used as a preservative in shampoo, formaldehyde can cause skin irritation and upset the immune system.
- Toluene – Specifically, toluene is paint thinner. Most commonly found in nail products; toluene also shows up in hair dyes. Combined with the ammonia that is also commonly found in hair color the result is a toxic soup that sits on your head and is absorbed into your skin.
- Phthalates – Found in hair and skin care products, phthalates have been linked to all sorts of nasty endocrine and reproductive problems. So much so, that phthalates have been completely banned in Europe.
- Fragrances – Most fragrances are not plant-based and as such can cause allergic reactions and respiratory distress. Some fragrances include phthalates so they don’t have to be listed as an ingredient.
Most of us may have used products containing these ingredients with little or no problem, but continued exposure could lead to some nasty health issues and it’s not worth the risk.
But there are alternatives. The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics partners with MADE SAFE® (Made with Safe ingredients) to provide cosmetic and personal care products companies with a way to certify their products and ingredients as safe and nontoxic. MADE SAFE® verifies products are made with safe ingredients not known or suspected to harm human health, animals or ecosystems. It’s the only nontoxic certification in the country that crosses consumer product categories.
Ravissante Salon uses only certified organic and ammonia-free shampoo, conditioner and styling products from Intelligent Nutrients and fragrance- and ammonia-free INOA hair color from L’Oreal Professionnel. Products from Intelligent Nutrients use only MADE SAFE® ingredients, fragrance comes from essential oils and many have been certified organic by the US Department of Agriculture. Intelligent Nutrients products that can’t be certified due to ingredients required for the product to perform its primary function are harmonically made. That means 80% naturally derived ingredients, no chemical fragrance and all ingredients are verified for authenticity and safety.
The products used on your hair and skin impact you’re your body the same way food does and we think organic shampoos, conditioners and styling products are right up there with organic strawberries when it comes to supporting your overall health and well-being.